Friday, August 24, 2007

Catching up with old classmates

We have been away from Singapore for the last 4 years and have not kept in touch with many of our old classmates. I sent an email to my secondary school batch of friends to inform them of our good news yesterday and received a flurry of congratulations as well as updates on their family-building efforts... Here are some comments:

"Congrats! When is Mrs due? BTW, my second son is due end Oct 2007"
"Congratulations! Nothing is impossible, we are all walking examples" says mother of 3 (!!)
"... on the local front, XL's SECOND son is due sometime soon and EY's THIRD son is due November..."

For the record, we are NOT that old! With wifey just barely 30, we should be one of the younger couples no? In seems like all the baby-making incentives by the Singapore government is bearing fruit. I never expected that monetary incentives will ever be effective in improving our country's birth rate but I guess I was wrong. Over here in Bangkok, wifey is the youngest mother to be among her group of expatriate friends...

Anyway, all this makes me think that if they can do it, I'm sure we won't fare too badly... I am a medically-trained doctor! Wifey has been hit by the occasional "I think we are not ready dear". In my opinion, we can never be totally ready; there's never an optimal time to be preggers! We are fortunate to have some savings such that we can live on a single income for awhile. Seeing wifey go through a rather torrid first trimester, I wonder how women out there drag themselves to work every day after hugging the toilet bowl the whole night before? A new level of respect I now give to all mothers and mothers-to-be out there... Us hubbies can never understand fully what you are going through and will not pretend to. If we sometimes absentmindedly offer a "I know how you are feeling dear" rubbish, and get an earful from you, we deserve it!

No comments:

How old am I today?

pregnancy due date