Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Our first appointment!

We had our first appointment with Dr. S today and by all accounts, it was nothing like the ones we had in Singapore! Yes we had to wait an hour before we saw the doctor but when we stepped into his room, he started apologising to us! "Hello! I am really sorry to have made you guys wait so long!" Now that's something we will never expect doctors to say in Singapore.. trust me, I am a doctor remember?

Dr. S was very careful and detailed, and polite (almost too polite we think!) at all times. After explaining all the different blood tests available for the expectant mother, he said "Will you please allow me to perform the tests on you? It will be very useful for me to have a baseline as I manage your pregnancy in the coming month." He was asking for our permission! During the examination (PAP smear etc), he was highly apologetic all the way, excusing himself for "not impressing us on our first visit". Wifey felt kinda strange, so accustomed to being ordered by doctors back in Singapore to "do this" or "do that".

We had a tour of the birthing unit and nurseries and were suitably impressed. In the birthing rooms (called labour wards in Singapore), the atmosphere was serene. No wailing womens, shouting midwives and harried-looking house officers to be seen. I remember (cringing) my duties in the labour ward as a house officer... no way did KK Hospital look like that! Each of the birthing rooms were painted pink with dimmed lights and best of all - 4 delivery position options! As was explained to us, wifey can choose to lie on the bed, on the floor, on the recliner chair or in the hot tub! I will post pictures next time... you have to see to believe this! I am really looking forward to a water birth; perhaps I can get into the tub as well.

No comments:

How old am I today?

pregnancy due date